Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Hip Hoppin'





So it seems that I have been all over the pop/hip hop scene lately. Usually I stick to old school (read: stuff from my jr. high/high school days) but for some reason I have been dancing around the house to the new stuff. One of my favorite-ist right now is Mr. Kanye West. Now I am not saying this is mind-blowing musical genius stuff, but he sure does have a great booty-shaking beat on "Stronger". A close second is Rhianna's "Umbrella", which by the way, has been covered in a softer more cotton candy version by Mandy Moore.

Funny how songs catch other artists like that. Case in point: Faith Hill and Tim McGraw covered Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars" at their concert in early August (the one from Grey's Anatomy, go ahead, look it up, I dare ya! You know it, trust me). Ok, back to the subject of dancing around my house with a hairbrush as a microphone, the great Justin Timberlake has also got me going with his SexyBack and all.


Of course you couldn't get out of this without reading about what makes my "just plain tired of it" ramblings, but you're this far into it, so might as well just go ahead and wade through it. The Duchess is on the top of this list right now. Sorry Fergie, this big girl just might break down in tears if I have to hear that song one more time. It's time to know when to give up when a song is played out. Write some new stuff, it's not that hard! And of course, she is a huge part of the pop scene, and while I'm loving "Gimme More" right now, can we get Britney off of CNN for pete's sake? It's not like she's bombing Iraq. People lose custody of their kids all the time! It's not like she'll lose 'em forever, the judicial system is just whipping her into shape. Look at Courtney Love, she didn't get half the coverage when she was going thru it with Frances Bean, and she was a gazillion times worse than Britney. She seems to be coming around, though.


Okay, well perhaps it's natural that music just makes us happy, but I'm glad it's affecting me this way at the moment. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to load up my imaginary iPod with all of my favorite songs and hit the gym.

1 comments:

Jaime said...

I can understand some kanye (even though he's so not as cool as he thinks he is). But Rhianna? That damn umbrella song irritates the poo out of me :)